Save the Date: Spring Garage Sale on May 5
What’s warm weather without a garage sale or two? Get ready to bargain for great deals at the semi-annual Somersett Garage Sale on May 5, one of just two community-dictated garage sales each year. To have your home listed on the map, please email email@example.com with your address no later than Friday, April 27. Maps will be available for pick up on Friday, May 4, from noon to 9 pm, and on Saturday, May 5, starting at 7 am at The Club at Town Center.
Participants are welcome to put up signs during the sale only to direct people to their street and house. The sale runs from 7 am to Noon.
Tips for planning and organizing a garage sale
What generally sells best:
- Children’s clothes
- Sporting goods and exercise equipment
- Empty bottles of all kinds
- Children’s books
- Gardening equipment
- Costume jewelry
- Linens (in good shape)
Go through your house room by room and ask the following questions:
- Does this add value to my life?
- Can I use something else if I didn’t have this anymore?
- When was the last time I used/wore it?
- When am I realistically going to use it again?
- If it’s broken, why haven’t I fixed it?
How to let go of sentimental items:
- Take photos of yourself holding or wearing the item.
- If it can be easily replaced for less than $20, let it go.
- Pack it away and if you haven’t used it by the next community-wide sale, put it out then.
- Group things by category, such as collectibles, tools, furniture, sporting goods, decor, linens, kitchen electronics, books, toys and framed photos.
- Price everything. Dollar stores sell price stickers to make the job easier.
- Use tables – customers will appreciate if things are at eye level. Ask friends and family if you can borrow folding tables, clothing racks, boxes, carts, etc. for the day.
- Designate a “free’’ box.
- Stock up on bags and boxes.
- Save change and small bills.
- Have a plan for stuff that doesn’t sell.
The day before:
- Stop at the bank and get a selection of $1s, $5s, $10s, and $20s. Gather all the change you have saved.
- Plan your layout, then set up as much as possible the night before. Plan to leave open space around areas where people will linger. Put things up front that will draw people in.
- Get your directional signs ready.
The day of the sale:
- Get up early and have everything ready by 7 am.
- Place your directional signs (don’t forget to take them down after the sale!).
- Be friendly.
- Be flexible with pricing – remember, your goal is to get rid of as much as possible!
If you’ve been through this before and have advice for other residents, please leave your tips in the comment field below!